IIT Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs
NOTE: Students must be registered for the repeated course indicated below prior to submitting this request. Course repeat requests pertaining to unregistered courses cannot be processed.
Undergraduate students can request a course repeat for a course in which they earned a D or E by submitting this request form for consideration to the Office of Undergraduate Academic Affairs.
This form will only be accepted during the registration period for the current and future semesters. Requests to repeat a course after the current semester's add/drop period will not be accepted. Please see the Academic Calendar for each semester's registration deadline.
Both grades will be recorded on all transcripts issued. Only the second grade will be used to compute the GPA, even if the second grade is lower. The policy does not apply to the following grades: I, R, S, U, W, X, or AU. The undergraduate course repeat policy is as follows:
- A course repeated for a grade change must be taken within one calendar year after initial enrollment in that course or the next time it is offered, whichever is longer.
- The same course may be repeated only once for a change of grade.
- A maximum of three 100- and 200-level courses may be repeated for a change of grade. A maximum of three 300- and 400-level courses may be repeated for a change of grade. Course repeats not used for 100- and 200-level courses cannot be carried forward to 300- and 400-level courses.
- Registration for courses in which a student receives a grade of C or better requires the approval of the student's academic advisor.
- If a course is no longer offered by the university, the provision to repeat the course for a grade change does not apply.
Undergraduate Academic Affairs will forward approved requests to the Office of the Registrar for processing.